Who would have thought that the humble amaranth could be transformed into something so delicious? A gluten free tikki made with amaranth seeds and stir fried vegetables that is sure to please your taste buds.
- 1 cup amaranth (chaulai) seeds
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 Tbsp chilli powder
- A pinch of amchoor powder
- 1 Tbsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- Lots of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp oil, to pan fry
- Amaranth flour or breadcrumbs for dusting
How to Make Amaranth Tikkis
- Cooking the amaranth seeds:
- Boil 2 cups of water and add the amaranth stirring well.
- After a quick boil, cover the bowl, lower the heat and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- When amaranth is cooked, season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Keep aside.
- For the masala:
- In a small pan, add 1 Tbsp oil, saute garlic and onion until glossy.
- Then add the red pepper and zucchini, stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the lemon zest, garam masala powder, coriander powder, red chilli, and stir fry. Add the amchoor and black pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add this mixture to the boiled amaranth. Let it cool until easily handled.
- Then make patties. Coat them in amaranth flour or breadcrumbs.
- Pan fry them, using 2 tablespoons of oil till golden.