Full Fat Milk – liters 2
Fine semiya variety 1
cup Sugar – and 2 tbsp 1
cup Ghee / clarified butter 2 tbsp
strands Rose Water 1 tsp
Cardamom powder 1/2 tsp
Nuts & Dry Fruits :
Cashew – (chopped) 5 tbsp
Almonds – (chopped) 4 tbsp
Raisins 1/2 cup
Pistachios – (chopped) 4 tbsp
Chironjee/ Charoli nuts 2 tbsp
Dry dates 8 (soaked)
Dry coconut (Khopra)- (grated) 1/2 cup
Dry rose petals – few
- Soak the dates in water over night. Next morning slice the dates and take off the seed and cut the dates into pieces. Keep aside.
- In a thick bottomed vessel add milk and allow it to boil. Once the milk comes to a boil, simmer the gas flames and allow it to reduce till half. Add cardamom powder while the milk is reducing. Gradually you will see cream sticking at the edges of the pan, scrap it and add into the milk. This will give more creaminess to the sheer khurma.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl, soak saffron in 1 tbsp milk. You can soak it and refrigerate it over night for better color.
- In a separate wok, heat ghee. Now fry the chironjee, cashews, almonds and raisins one by one and keep aside.
- In the same wok add broken sewai and roast them till golden in color. Keep aside.
- Now as the milk is reduced to a desired level, add the fried nuts and grated khopra first. Let them cook for few minutes. Now add the soaked dates slices and mix well. Keep stirring and always make sheer khurma in low heat.
- Once the dry fruits and the nuts are cooked nicely, add the roasted sewai and stir nicely. Allow the sewai to get soft nicely. Do not over cook it. Once you see the sewai getting soft, add sugar and stir again.
- Check the sweetness once the sugar dissolves completely. You can add more sugar if you want.
- Now add the saffron soaked milk and stir again. Allow it to cook for another few minutes. You will now see the color of the sheer khurma getting deep.
- Once you achieve the desired color and thickness of the sheer, turn off the gas and add few drops of rose water.
- Serve hot or cold as per your choice. If you want to serve it chilled, then let the sheer khurma cool at room temperature and then refrigerate it for few hours before serving.
- Garnish the sheer khurma with dried rose petals, chopped pistachios and saffron before serving.