step by step photos on how to make chicken nuggets
1. You can skip this step, if you have tender meat. To keep the chicken juicy, soft and tender, I prefer to brine it for at least 2 hours to overnight in buttermilk or salted vinegar solution for most of my fried chicken recipes. Otherwise the meat turns tough resulting in chewy & fibrous chunks. To make buttermilk, add 1/4 cup plain curd / yogurt to 1.5 cups of water along with 1/4 tsp salt. Whisk well and add the washed and cubed chicken. Leave it to rest for 2 hours to overnight in the fridge. Drain up the buttermilk and set aside just before you want to make the nuggets.
2. Sprinkle your favorite seasoning. I used freshly ground pepper and all spice. You can add 1/4 tsp of all spice powder or half tsp garam masala, 1 tsp ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder or paprika. You can also replace ginger garlic paste with 1/4 tsp each of ginger and garlic powder. Toss well and set aside until you prepare the rest.
3. We will need 3 wide bowls – 1 for egg, 1 for bread crumbs and the other for flour.
I used organic egg.
Unseasoned homemade bread crumbs.
Organic unbleached plain flour/ maida – added pepper, bit of salt and all spice. Mixed up and check the salt.
Beat the egg well set aside. If using packed bread crumbs, choose one that doesn’t have MSG in it. Usually corn flour is added to get the right crunch, but you will really not feel the difference if you replace with plain flour since nuggets are breaded.
4. Get the moist chicken and put them in the flour. Coat them well. Make sure the meat is moist else it doesn’t coat the flour well.
5. Take off each of these with a tong and add to the beaten egg. Coat them well with the egg.
6. Immediately place them in the bread crumbs. Coat them well again.
7. Allow them to rest for about 10 minutes. This allows the bread crumbs to stick on well.
8. Heat oil in a deep pan. Make sure the oil is not very hot, before you drop the chicken in the pan. It will brown the chicken nuggets without cooking well inside. When the oil is hot enough, Shake off the chicken nuggets a bit in the plate. This way any excess bread crumbs will fall off in the plate. Drop them one after the other. Fry them in batches.
9. Keep stirring and fry evenly until golden. Drain them on a kitchen tissue.
Serve hot with ketchup or a cup of black tea.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 200 to 250 grams chicken breast
- ¼ to ½ cup plain flour / maida (prefer organic)
- salt as needed
- ¼ to ½ tsp pepper powder
- ½ tsp garam masala or ¼ tsp all spice
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste or ¼ tsp each in powder form (optional)
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup curd / yogurt or 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1.5 cups water
- ¼ tsp salt
- Brine the chicken in salted buttermilk for 2 hours to overnight. Keep refrigerated.
- Drain it completely and sprinkle half of the pepper powder and spice powder. Mix well.
- Add little salt, rest of the pepper powder and spice powder to the flour. Mix well.
- Beat the egg in a different bowl.
- Transfer the bread crumbs to another bowl.
- Coat the moist chicken in flour, then dip in the egg mixture. Then coat in bread crumbs. Repeat this for all the nuggets.
- Rest them for 10 mins. Heat oil in a pan.
- When the oil is just hot enough, shake off the excess crumbs and fry in oil until golden, Drain them on a kitchen tissue.
- Serve hot.