High cholesterol continues to afflict countless of individuals. However, studies have now shown that high cholesterol can be treated with a number of healthy foods. The National Institute of Nutrition recommends that every individual should consume at least 300 g of vegetables (50 gms of green leafy vegetable, 200 gms of other vegetables and 50 gms of root vegetables) and 100 gms of fruit daily. We have listed the top 23 foods that will fight the evil.
1. Beans and lentils help lower cholesterol Beans, lentils and peas are good source of soluble fibre which helps lower cholesterol levels. Beans and pulses are high in fibre, high in protein and low in fat. Beans also contain lecithin, a nutrient that also helps in lowering it.
2. Monosaturated fats helps lower cholesterol Avocados, Peanut butter, Hazelnuts, Almonds and Pecans contain heart-healthy MUFA, which helps lower Cholesterol levels. Olive and Peanut oils are also rich in monounsaturates. Note all are high in fat calories.
3. Grains and Oats help lower Cholesterol Soluble fiber found in oats and oat bran, barley, brown rice, helps lower Cholesterol. Soluble fiber binds to bile acids and cholesterol an helps their excretion. Beans, apples, carrots also contain soluble fiber.
4. Nuts help lower Cholesterol Nuts contain plant sterols and monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, which lower the LDL (bad) cholesterol. Nuts (Almonds, Walnuts, Pistachio, Pecans) are rich in heart healthy – fiber, Vitamin E and Selenium.
5. Fibre in fruits help lower cholesterol Apples, Pears, Oranges and Grapefruit contain soluble fibre, which helps lower cholesterol. Include other soluble fibre rich foods such as psyllium, barley, apples, pears, kidney beans.